FAIL BAKING POST // VANILLA MACARONS

06:58


So flash-back to when I was sixteen and had hopes and dreams of going to culinary school. Of course once I realized I was NOT a great baker that dream slowly fizzled into a hobby.


I do LOVE to bake but I am not good at it, something about natural instincts in the kitchen I assume. I could follow a recipe to a tee and still find a way to muck it up. 



Well, my lovelies, that is what I have done here. And you may be asking why I even uploaded this in the first place. Because maybe, just maybe, this recipe will work better for you. And you will probably see where I messed up a long the way and learn from my mistakes!


I'm being a bad baker so YOU my friend can be a better one.


Here's how it all went down:


PROCEDURE

1. place the ground almonds and confectioners' sugar in a food processor and process for 15 seconds. Sift the mixture into a bowl line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

My Mistake: I DIDN'T SIFT BEFORE I PUT IT IN THE BOWL! WOE IS ME!

2. Place the egg whites in a clean, grease free bowl and beat until holding soft peaks. Gradually beat in the granulated sugar to make a firm, glossy meringue. Beat in the vanilla extract.

3. Using a spatula, fold the almond mixture into the egg mixture, one-third at a time. When all the dry ingredients are thoroughly incorporated, continue to cut and fold the mixture until it forms a shiny batter with a thick, ribbonlike consistency.

4. Pour the batter into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch plain tip. Pipe 32 small circles onto the prepared baking sheets. Tap the baking sheets firmly onto a work surface to remove air bubbles. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 325°F.

So chunky, so not right.


5. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then carefully peel the macarons off the parchment paper and let cool completely.

6. To make the filling, beat the butter and vanilla extract in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until smooth and creamy. Use to sandwich together pairs of macarons.


So my mistake was on the first bloody instruction. But you can't win them all now can you. To top it all off they wouldn't come off the parchment paper so I had to cut them into their own little patches... Oh, life.


Best of luck that you do a great job with these and please tweet me pictures I would love to see!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

INSTAGRAM