Oscar Nominations Watch List 2016

08:48

So I will have to start out by saying I am obsessed with movies. Not to brag but I would battle anyone on movie trivia ranging all the way to the first movies that were ever created to the most current films to hit theatre's. I worked at a movie theatre for two years and it was one of the most brilliant jobs I have ever had. That being sad I do not enjoy reading critic reviews because I think it has become a community of snobs who choose not to enjoy films solely because they want to appear above the general audience who are entertained by certain movies. For me the Golden Globes are more enjoyable because they really try to get a good round up of the top movies this year. If that means putting Ridley Scott's  The Martian in the same category as Amy Schumer's Trainweck well... at least they got them all in there.  However the Oscars have always held a higher prestige in the world of cinema and for that I try every year to watch all the best movie nominations. Here is the list of the
2016 ballot:
The Big Short
Bridge of Spies
Brooklyn
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Martian
The Revenant
Room
Spotlight

I'm sure if you read any movie review right now they would tell you the Revenant (with 12 nominations) is a safe bet for best film. So far I have watched...

  • The Big Short
  • Brooklyn
  • The Martian
  • Room
So obviously I still have half of the films to watch! However, it is hard for me to agree with Bridge of Spies being a contender for best film and Joy being completely snubbed and for that I will instead review Joy and not review Bridge of Spies (because I can and because it looks really boring).
The Big Short
Loved it. Smart, humorous, and most of all HONEST! Being a 13 year old at the time of the market collapse it was so interesting for me to actually learn exactly what happened. Steve Carrel really should have been nominated for best actor but... I digress. Considering the director went from making slap-stick comedies like Anchorman to something with such a highly intelligent humor is incredible. I just have to say this isn't one where you can half pay attention because like they say some of the words used (in the financial world) are meant to make your head spin.
Brooklyn
So, it was cute... it was heart warming... the cinematography was gorgeous... I didn't really love it. Not that it wasn't a nice story about an Irish immigrant who is truly stuck between a rock and a hard place but honestly that's all it really was for me... a nice story. I wouldn't necessarily categorize it with Nicholas Sparks films but it was pretty dang close.
The Martian
Oh my god if you didn't fall in love with Matt Damon in this film then you are truly a heartless humanoid and need to reevaluate everything about your life. jk... but truly this film was so epic
I was on the edge of my seat the entire time like holding my breath. It also made me feel a bigger connection to understanding places like JPL (somewhere I visited as a kid but never really understood).  There were no bad people, no ill wishes, just hope and not to mention great humor amongst all the tension.
Room
If I could have one wish it would be that Room wins best picture. I went into this film with no knowledge of what it was about, what I would expect, nothing. And I am so so happy I did. There is so much to love about Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay's relationship that you actually feel like they could be a real life mother and son (not to mention Brie's actual Instagram posts about Jacob ugh... my heart). The climax literally had me almost on the floor about to pass out from anticipation and I love when a film can do that to me. So you are hearing it now! My nomination for best picture is ROOM

I will continue to do the other four movie nominations within the following weeks so look out for that! Let me know what your favorite movies this season are as well! xoxo Sam




You Might Also Like

0 comments

INSTAGRAM